Monday, October 24, 2016

Looking Back on 21 Years as a Doctor

It is with hindsight that I can now see the direction and many paths that I took during these 21 years to be where I am today. My family: husband and three children were the ones that believed in me and my dream to become a country doctor. I was no spring chicken. I had been a teacher for more than 12 years and a Registered Nurse. It has always been their commitment and unwavering love that has carried me through the turbulent waters and swift currents in the ocean of healthcare.
During these 21 years there has not been very much smooth sailing. Many times my practice has suffered financial difficulty and required "packing up" and "moving out." Over and over this has happened. Over and over my family has been there ready to help and make it better. Not one time I have heard a complaint from my family.
At one time office space was so rare that my husband built me an office and exam room in his garage. What a man! And then a storm blew through and destroyed a lot of trees. My husband used that timber to build the office that I now work in. This office sits in our yard beside our home. I get my daily exercise by walking to work every day.
These experiences have given me inspiration to write three books: The Three N's: Nobody from Nowhere Going No Place, The Fork Lift: Is Your Weight Killing You with Companion Portion Plate and The Last Kiss: Saying Goodbye to My Son
So as I look back, I am mindful of the great sacrifice that my family has endured for me and my dream. Since 1995 I have seen many patients and witnessed many miracles of medicine, but the biggest miracle of my life is my family – my husband, Perry, and three children, Rachel, Rawlin and Edmond.         

No comments:

Post a Comment